Monday 5 March 2012

My Design Ethic

Ethics in design I believe are particularly important. If all designers practiced ethically it would create a better world for everyone. I as a designer will always strive to follow my own ethics such as honesty, kindness and to design a high quality product made to stand the test of time.

I may not always be overly fond of a project or idea but would never use this as an excuse to not put all my effort in to achieving what I am being asked to do. I think it would be immoral of me to make a half hearted attempt at a design just because I didn't agree with the idea behind it. However, not everyone will agree with my ethical opinion. When the answer isn't as black and white as wrong or right and we get that grey area in the middle people's opinions will always differ. I just think that it's important to go with your instinct and stay true to it. Although, again venturing in to the grey area, if I really felt that a project would be severley detrimental to others I would refuse to do the design. Afterall that wouldn't be kind or honest now would it?

Looking at ethics from an ecological point of view I do believe it's important to produce a product that has respect for people and the environment. There are many ways in which people can help the environment no matter how small it's just whether they choose to shy away from the harsh realities of environmental damage or step up and make that small change. I strongly believe in encouraging quality over mass produced disposable items. Unfortunately products that are designed to last aren't always profitable that's why quality continues to lose out to quantity at the cost of the environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment